Swift Ecology benefits from a strong cross-over between local authority and consultancy
ecology experience amongst its staff, which places it in a strong position to help clients
navigate through the complex planning process. We have built up excellent working
relationships with local authorities, architects and clients and as a consequence, a very high
percentage of our work comes from repeat business.
Finally, we believe that good communication, reliability and a personable, friendly approach
is an important element in developing good working relationships and achieving successful
planning and biodiversity outcomes.
Swift Ecology provides high quality ecological consultancy services to clients including
developers, utilities, local authorities, government bodies, landowners, conservation
organisations, and academic and professional institutions. Our services include:
Habitat survey and assessment including:
- Preliminary Ecological Appraisal (PEA) / Extended Phase 1 survey / Ecological Impact assessment (EcIA)
- Ecological Constraints and Opportunities Plan (ECOP)
- UK Habitat classification survey
- Survey and assessment for Priority Habitats
- National Vegetation Classification survey
- Advice and plans on habitat creation and restoration
- Bespoke habitat/botanical survey and assessment
Protected species survey, assessment and mitigation including:
- Bats (Preliminary Roost Assessments (PRA), bat activity surveys of structures and trees, bat habitat survey, tree climbing roost survey).
- Great crested newt (eDNA, HSI, presence/absence, population size class)
- Water vole and otter
- Breeding and overwintering birds, surveys for individual species (e.g. peregrine, barn owl, black redstart, waders).
Protected species licensing:
- Bats (EPSL, BMCL, BER)
- Great crested newt (EPSL, District licensing)
- Badger (class licence)
Invasive non-native species survey
Discharge of Condition:
- Biodiversity Enhancements Plans (BEPs)
- Construction Ecological Management Plans (CEMPs)
- Landscape Ecological management Plans (LEMPs)
- Ecological clerk of works (ECoW)
Ecological evaluation and Biodiversity Net Gain plans:
- Habitat condition assessments
- Natural England Biodiversity Metric 3.1
Preparation of conservation management plans:
- Management plans for local nature conservation sites, nature reserves, commons, woodlands, grasslands and other habitats.
DNA analysis service for UK and Ireland mammal species ID:
- Small mammals
- Bespoke analysis for species ID
"Responsive and always professional, they have been a reliable contractor to work with and their enthusiasm for their field together with real world pragmatism has been of great benefit to the project."
Bat surveys and planning applications information sheet
"I have sought the assistance of Mike Sharp in connection with a number of development projects and I have, always, found his advice to be practical, his approach pragmatic and his dealings with clients professional."